2007年9月13日木曜日

I Once Wanted To Be A Sushi-She-Chef

Hello 11 AM crew (and others who happen to be looking at this),
I've never kept a blog before, so I'm pretty thrilled! I'm also thrilled that I'm finally giving myself the chance to learn Japanese. I actually lived in Tokyo (Arakawa-ku to be exact, you can see my apartment building on google earth, holler) for a year when I was in 6th grade. Why? Because it was my dad's sabatacle (sp?) year and so he got a job at a University in Tokyo. Why am I in 101? Because I was a very whiney and obnoxious 12 year old and didn't want to go to Japan at all and didn't want to go to a Japanese middle school. My parents literally dragged me kicking and screaming to Japan...and kicking and screaming back to America. Over the course of that year I became completely smitten with the place. I think the thing that is going to stick with me the most is the train ride to my international school. School started at 9 but I had to wake up at 7 am, jump in my uniform, ride the toden/streetcar for 45 minutes and then transfer to the train for 20 minutes and then walk for 15 minutes. I got a lot of thinking time those mornings. I also remember how I would pass this one construction site on my walk to school and all 30 or so of the workers on the site, built thick and squat, would be out in rows with their hardhats on bending and stretching to the recording of a piano.
I had a great year in Japan, disregarding the average preteen angst, and I really would like to go back. I'm not sure for what in particular yet though. Last year I had this fantasy of becoming a sushi chef. Did you know there's only a total of 200 or so female sushi chefs in Japan? Anyway I love eating sushi and looking at it too. Some of those rolls get really complex and beautiful. Almost too pretty to eat. Oishii desu yo ne?!?!! Shout out to Hama-san. My sushi chef dream has not died completely yet, but I'm not sure how likely it is that I will become a legitimate sushi chef in the future. We'll see. In the meantime I just need to go back to Japan. I have this ridiculous notion that the moment I go back I'll figure out what to do with my life.
Class trip to Japan, ne?
See you in class.

PS My display name is meant to be ironic, a throwback to my myspace days.

3 件のコメント:

Yamen Hamaヤーメン・ハマ さんのコメント...

Oishii desu ye no?!?!?!?!

DELICIOUS RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

Ummm, I loved the shout-out and I CAN'T believe you lived in Japan. I am so jealous right now. Anyways, it's weird but I have a feeling once I go to Japan I will discover something awesome as well! And, YES I HAVE 2 DDR MATS IN MY DORM ROOM!!!! Can we say JAPN 101 DDR Party, ne???? HAHAHAHA, I love "ne" and "yo"...

Sato さんのコメント...

Sounds great! If you really become a sushi chef, you have to let me know!

Hunter さんのコメント...

Yeah for living in Japan! I am definitely going to go back as soon as possible.....so I am liking the JAPN 101 class trip.